Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"Halloween: The Diary of Judith Myers"--Coming Soon!


More non-"The Coming Evil" news today (Don't worry, I'm still working on it :p).

I've been sitting on this particular project for awhile because I've come to discover that, in the world of writing comic books, everything rests on a foundation of shifting sand. But, since there's the official announcement of it over on Comic Monsters, I thought it would be safe to spill the beans.

In the upcoming trade paperback collection of Devil Due's Publishing's release of "Halloween: The First Death of Laurie Strode"--written by Stef Hutchinson with art by the amazing Jeff Zornow--I am writing a prose piece entitled "The Diary of Judith Myers". I actually wrote this a year or so ago, and it looks like it might finally be getting its due (no pun intended).

Who is Judith Myers, you ask? For those of you uninitiated in the world of John Carpenter's original masterpiece "Halloween", Judith--or Judy--is Michael Myers' (that's the killer) big sister. She is, in fact, his very first victim. She plays a pivotal role in his life as a monster, but until now, her story has never been told (save for the opening scene of the first movie). Her life has been a blank slate, and it has been my honor to try to fill that.

The Diary is written from Judy's point of view, giving readers a sneak peak into Michael's childhood and home life. But, for those of you--like me--who believe that Michael Myers is the best when he's "The Shape"--a vessel of pure Evil with no motive for his madness--this Diary does not attempt to spell out why he kills. I'll leave that to Rob Zombie. I want to keep Michael mysterious, and, instead, shift the spotlight to poor Judy.

I'm really excited to hear people's reaction to the story. Like I said, Judy is a very integral part to the "Halloween" mythology--the event that begins Myers' reign of terror--but one that has been, so far, almost entirely ignored. Seeing how she is Michael's first victim, I went into the writing of this Diary as a sort of "Halloween 0"--a prequel and natural lead-in to the first film.

I'll keep everyone posted when it comes out.

No comments: